www.yeerphoto.com Robert Yee Photography - Orange County & Los Angeles Wedding Photographer Blog

Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Avedon Inspired

I shot these photo's a few months back for a portrait class. You're probably wondering why they look like mug shots, but if you look a little closer you'll see more than a mug. You'll see real faces. Blemishes, wrinkles, scars, crevises, experience and character.

They are simplistic; white background, no props, only the face of the subject. Inspiration came from the work of the late Richard Avedon.

Photos were shot using a Yashica D on 120 Ilford Delta 400 and HP5 400 film.

















If you still think they're mug shots buy youself Richard Avedon's DVD. Don't pay $300 at Amazon, I'll send you a copy.

4 comments:

Deanna said...

I think these are awesome! I love the real lighting and looking at "real" people. I think there is nothing more creative than seeing black and white "mug" shots. You can really see the true character on the person you are shooting. Nice work.

The Actual Joey Himself said...

My favorite kind of portraits are the ones with no forced expression. Nice work

Marina said...

Most women don't want to see their true self! I really appreciate it, with todays technology and all the "fixing" you could do. Nice.

Lawrence said...

Oh ya, I remember these photos! Gosh it looks even more better on the computer! Great jobs on the work you did last semster!